Student Employment

On-Campus Employment for Students

Federal Work Study (FWS) is need-based financial aid that is offered to students as a part of the total financial aid package to assist with meeting the cost of education. This program allows eligible students to be paid for part-time employment (up to 20 hours per week) while attending school and it provides worthwhile job opportunities to students. Accepting your Federal Work Study Award in your Financial Aid package does not guarantee that you will obtain on-campus employment and does not guarantee that you will be able to earn the full award amount through on-campus employment. The first step in applying for on-campus student employment is to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or the FAFSA to determine if you qualify for the Federal Work Study program.

Important Things to Know and Remember about Federal Work Study:

  • The FAFSA must be filed each year to re-determine work-study eligibility.
  • Federal Work Study (FWS) is awarded in varying amounts up to a maximum of $2,000 per academic year. The actual amount a student may earn is determined by the student’s financial need, year in school and the 十大博彩直营首页登录 hiring department’s budget. 
  • Students may work up to 20 hours per week and may hold up to two on-campus jobs (at the same time) during an academic year. Students may not earn more than the amount awarded for Federal Work Study in the student’s financial aid package.
  • Federal Work Study Kick-off is held at the beginning of every Fall semester. Students should attend to learn more about on-campus employment. Dates are announced in the Scot Knot parent newsletter, Today@十大博彩直营首页登录 student newsletter and through the Career Center.
  •  On-campus job openings are posted online through Handshake. Students must visit this website to view and APPLY for open positions on campus.
  • It is the responsibility of each student to apply, interview and be selected for student employment positions. FWS jobs are not assigned and your eligibility for FWS does not guarantee that you will be employed or that you will be able to earn your full FWS award through employment.
  • Once the student applies for a job through Handshake, the hiring supervisor will contact the student to schedule an interview.
  • Once selected for a position, students must complete all new hire paperwork assigned by the Human Resources Office. Paycom is the software used for student workers to complete important payroll and HR forms and for timekeeping. Once a student is hired by the supervisor, they will bring their Work Authorization Form to payroll, where they will be given access to the Paycom payroll and timekeeping system. On-boarding of student workers is electronic through Paycom and instructions on how to proceed will be sent to the student’s 十大博彩直营首页登录 email address.
  • Completing the Federal I-9 Form is required for all student employees. Two forms of identification (or one if a valid US Passport) must be provided for verification. All accepted ID documents are listed on the Acceptable Identification Documents for the I-9 Form. The documents must be originals and not copies. The name on your IRS W-4 Form must match the name on your Social Security card.
  • All student employees must complete training assigned to them by the Human Resources Office. The training is online. Students will receive an email from HR with instructions regarding the training. It must be completed before the student is cleared to work.
  • Once all training and on-boarding documents are complete, HR will notify the student and supervisor that the student is hired and ready to work. The supervisor and student will review the student employment handbook.  Questions should be directed to your student employment supervisor.

Federal Work Study (FWS) positions are available off-campus through the Maryville College Community Service program. Participating employers typically include: Blount County Schools’ Reading and Math for Success programs, Blount County Public Library, Leadership Blount and other local government and non-profit agencies. Off-campus employment is subject to the same rules as on-campus employment.

Maryville College Institutional Student Employment

On-campus institutional student employment for Non-Federal Work Study students is available on a limited basis as funding allows. These positions often require specific skills/certifications and supervisor recommendation.

Students may not begin any job on campus until they have completed all required on-boarding and training through Human Resources and Paycom. This includes the Maryville College Work Authorization Form and Federal I-9, W-4 and direct deposit forms.

Visit Handshake in order to view current on-campus institutional job openings. 

 Employment References for Student Workers

Maryville College Human Resources and student worker supervisors will provide employment references and salary verification for students only after the student has completed the Release for Employment Verification form. The form must be completed, signed and turned into the Human Resources Office, Room 318 Fayerweather Hall. The form will remain the student’s personnel file.